Once there was a plague that ravaged Europe with unrelenting force.
Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany was hit hard and lost half of their population in a short few weeks. In a moment of prayer, the villagers vowed that if God would stop the plague they would present a Passion Play every 10 years. In 1634, a production was written and presented by the inhabitants detailing the final period of Jesus’ life from His triumphant entry into Jerusalem to His crucifixion and glorious resurrection. To this day, every 10 years Oberammergau is filled with world travelers and pilgrims lined up to see the mixture of spoken word, musical and choral performances as well as vignettes of Old Testament scenes that link to the New Testament.
The play grew in fame quickly and now what started in a small parish church is housed in a state of the art theatre that seats close to 5000. The surrounding area is converted into all things Passion Play and tourism has become by far their greatest focus.
With the exception of interruptions from an Elector and a few wars, the Passion Play has been performed on schedule and with 2 special performances in all of these years. In 2020, the world wide Covid Pandemic stopped the performances. They say the word “delayed” in describing the reschedule because the village refused to give credit to the virus for the stoppage.
In 2022, from May 14 to October 2, the five hour drama will begin in its 42 installment. There are over 2000 participants, almost half of Oberammergau’s population, that will tirelessly tell the story of life, hope and power that is found in Jesus. The play is divided into sections to include 12 scenes. The first part, which begins in the afternoon, lends itself to a 3 hour respite with the final scenes following in the evening. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience.
Tickets are on sale now. More importantly, there is a full experience to be had and beautiful memories to be made. Many take this trip as a spiritual pilgrimage, others as a bucket list click, but whatever the purpose of the travel we have access to multiple packages to make the Passion Play a life altering event.
As we work with our partners in presenting these opportunities, we count on their years of experience to help make this event memorable. Whether it be church, school or a family, we provide and pair Europe or Israel in trips from 9 days to 14 days. Experience the Holy Land or take a Reformation tour along with your Oberammergau journey or a sail on the Danube.
These are our offerings:
- Oberammergau Passion Play & Best of the Holy Land 2022 – 13 Days STARTING FROM $5498 – Oberammergau Passion Play and Holy Land Tour! Visit the Sea of Galilee, Nazareth, Jerusalem, the Dead Sea, Munich, Salzburg, and so much more. Prices start at $5,498 with flights from New York. The Itinerary is reserved on the following departure dates: June 18, July 13, August 25, and September 5 and 6. Alternate package and dates: June 6, 14, 27; August 8, 23; and September 16.
- The Footsteps of Paul Cruise with Passion Play Post Tour – 12 Days STARTING FROM $4848 Aboard the Celebrity Constellation on a Footsteps of Paul Cruise from May 15-26, 2022.
- Oberammergau Passion Play & AmaWaterways River Cruise 12 Days STARTING FROM $6698. Oberammergau Passion Play & Romantic Danube River Cruise, including flights from New York. Visit places such as Innsbruck, Vienna, Budapest, Linz, Passau, and much more, aboard AmaWaterway’s AmaBella, departing on June 9, 2022. Other packages and travel dates are available as well including June 2, June 30, July 7, July 28, August 25 and September 8, 2022. (Schedules and fares vary)
- Oberammergau Passion Play & Reformation Heritage Tour 2022 – 10 Days STARTING FROM $5098 including airfare out of New York. Visit Innsbruck, see the Passion Play, travel to Augsburg, Coburg and Erfurt, Wittenberg, Eisleben and Eisenach, Worms and Mainz and so much more.
- Alpine Wonders Passion Play 2022 – 9 Days STARTING FROM $4698 This tour includes stops in Innsbruck and Salzburg as well as leisure days in Germany with optional excursions, including the Passion Play. Based out of New York.Post-tour extensions to Switzerland or Italy is also an option.
- Oberammergau Passion Play Alpine Odyssey 2022 -9 Days STARTING FROM $4898 This tour includes stops in Innsbruck and Salzburg as well as leisure days in Germany with optional excursions, including the Passion Play. Starting price is $4,898 per person based out of New York. Post-tour extensions to Switzerland or Italy are also options.
- Oberammergau Passion Play & European Capitals Tour 2022 -10 Days STARTING FROM $5098.See places such as the Triumphal Arch in Austria, St. Thomas Church of Germany, and Charles Bridge in Prague. Pricing for this tour starts at $5,098 with international airfare from New York.
- Oberammergau Passion Play & Best of Italy –12 Days STARTING FROM $5898 All-Inclusive package will include sightseeing in Munich, Venice, and Oberammergau for the 2022 Passion Play and so much more! With 5 dates to choose from including flights from New York, starting at $5,898 per person.
- Oberammergau Passion Play & Best of Switzerland 2022 -10 Days STARTING FROM $5098 with flights from New York, NY. Visit places such as Zurich, Lucerne, Matterhorn, Innsbruck, Ettal, Munich, Oberammergau, and much more! Itineraries available on the following dates: June 11 and July 23
AND what is truly amazing? Pay a registration fee now per person to hold your trip and then meet payment deadlines along the way. We do all of the planning and these trips include the tour, guided sightseeing, entrance fees, hotels, transportation, 2 meals a day, tickets and gratuities. It is a win win!
So, call us today to get the dream started toward a reality! We have Group Perks for leaders as well, so call your Faith Based Travel Specialist at GroupSource today! 800-800-2519.